The Department of Energy (DOE) has added $37 million to the pot for SBIR/STTR Awards ($8.5 million for Phase I awards). This is in addition to the $9 million already allocated to the SBIR/STTR Phase I awards. Thanks the Recovery Act, these additional funds will be awarded to technologies that improve energy efficiency. Topics include:
· Advanced building air conditioning and refrigeration, thermal load shifting, and cool roofs
· Water usage in electric power generation and industrial processes
· Power plant cooling
· Advanced gas turbines and materials
· Sensors, controls, and wireless networks
· Advanced water power technology development
· Smart controllers for smart grid applications
· Advanced solar technologies
· Advanced industrial technologies development
· Advanced manufacturing processes
The deadline is still September 4th, so it will be VERY tight if you were not already planning on submitting (writing a quality proposal and registering for submission CAN take several weeks for first-time submitters). If you are submitting, these funds will allow an increased chance of funding.
Phase I awards are up to $150,000 for a period of six months to demonstrate the feasibility of the ideas that appear to have commercial potential. Read the DOE’s SBIR/STTR solicitation for proposal and submission instructions.