Participating teams will compete forÂ cash, gadgets, and professional-services prizes valued at approximately $100,000. The grand prize winning team will receive a prize package valued at approximately $79,000, which includes $12,000 cash.
If you drawn to challenges, problem solving, and the idea of possibly creating the next great unicorn in financial technology (FinTech), then you just might be part of the winning team in the Advanced Technology Development Centerâs (ATDC) secondÂ FinTech Hack @ ATDCÂ competition. (Register on Eventbrite)
ATDC, a program of the Georgia Institute of Technology that serves as the stateâs technology incubator, is hosting the hackathon,Â which runs from Feb. 10 through Feb. 12.Â
Financial technology and services giantsÂ Worldpay USÂ andÂ TSYSÂ are sponsors of the competition.
But this is more than your typical hackathon. TheÂ FinTech Hack @ ATDCÂ is the competition for entrepreneurs, developers, designers, and innovators who seek to take their ideas to the next level. It will provide winning teams with the critical post-hack engagement, mentoring, and support to not only create, but build and launch viable startup companies.
A program of the Georgia Institute of Technology, ATDC is the stateâs technology incubator. This yearâs theme centers on the Internet of Things, specifically, wearable financial technology (FinTech). Sponsors are supplying:Â Raspberry Pis, sensors,Â Legos, andÂ Amazon Dots. (Please note that teams have to return the hardware.)
The competition is designed to bring together entrepreneurs, developers, designers, and innovators who thrive on tackling challenges, solving problems, and working in teams to create the next big disruptive FinTech idea.
Of course, this is a serious competition, so there will be prizes, including cash, gadgets, food, and some cool swag, too.Â Ultimately, participants will decide which ideas to work on using our sponsorsâ APIs. They can work on their own projects or work on challenges presented to them by our sponsors.
ATDC will post updates and more information in the coming weeks onÂ ATDC.org,Â Facebook, andÂ Twitter, but here are some key dates to remember:
Other key information:
- WHEN:Â Friday, Feb. 10, 2016, from 5:30 p.m. through 9 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 10, 2016.
- WHERE:Â ATDC, 75 Fifth St., 3rd Floor, Centergy Building at Tech Square in Atlanta.
- New Deliverables Rule:All code, prototypes, and design submissions developed for the FinTech Hack @ATDC must be created during the event. Participants can bring their ideas, but all meaningful work must be created during the event.
- Eligibility:To be eligible, all Hackathon participants must physically be present and working on site at the Centergy Building.Â
- Development Environment:Sponsors will be providing sandboxing environments for participants.
- IP Ownership:Participants will own their ideas, code, and work.
- Refund Policy:For planning purposes, refunds cannot be given after 12:01 a.m. Feb. 3.