The process of reauthorizing the SBIR/STTR Program has been, like many other government programs, a long journey. It appears that the House has agreed to the Senate’s modifications for SBIR/STTR reauthorization as part of the National Defense Authorization Act for 2012 NDAA. As reported by Rick Shindell of the SBIR Gateway almost 1000 small businesses contacted their Representatives and urged them to agree to the Senate modifications for SBIR/STTR. As the final bill has not yet been authorized we do not have all the details. Here is what is known:
- Reauthorization through 2017.
- Increased Set Aside: SBIR from 2.5% to 3.2%, STTR from 0.3% to 0.45%.
- VC Majority Ownership: Allowable for 25% of awards from NIH, DoE and NSF, 15% of awards from all other agencies.
- Limit on Number of Awards Per Company: Rejected, but language included to monitor a company’s success.
- Agency Administrative Fund: 3% of SBIR funds can be used by the agencies for outreach and administration.
- Phase I Skip: Allowable for NIH, DoD and DoEd, at the agencies discretion.